Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Organic Produce

I recently signed up for Full Circle Farm organic produce. It is delivered to Juneau and I go pick it up. I need to eat more fruits and veggies in my diet, and I think that this is the easiest way for me to get it. I find that I go overboard at the store and spend a good portion of my budget on produce that I don't use. This way, I don't have to think about it. I check the website every other week to see what is in my box of produce and download recipes that I can make that use up the produce.

I picked up my first two boxes today. It would normally be one box, but I added some extra stuff that thought I would eat. Here is what I got today:
The box contains kale, romaine lettuce, arugula, and carrots. I have never eaten kale before and I have a soup recipe that I am going to try it in. But, I need to go to the store to get the rest of the ingredients.
On the counter, I have strawberries, kiwis, potatoes, apples, oranges, a mango, snow peas, spinach, onions, tomatoes, a cucumber, and fresh herbs. What a bounty!
I only had a few casualties... I lost 5 strawberries to mold and one of my kiwis was crushed. But, other than that, all was well!

So, what does someone do when presented with fresh produce? Make soup, of course :) You can find the recipe for Lentil Soup here (my soup choice for the evening because I had all the ingredients in my pantry... well, almost all the ingredients). I didn't have any celery on hand, so I omitted it, and used celery salt to finish the soup. I also omitted the vinegar because I don't care for it with vinegar.
For dessert, I had yogurt with strawberries, kiwi, and a little granola on top for crunch! I didn't take a picture of dessert, I just wanted to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment