Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Coconut Bliss Ice-Cream

One of the biggest upsets that I have experienced with my new-found allergy is that I am unable to eat ice-cream anymore, because of the eggs. While walking around the health food section of my grocery store, I found Luna & Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss Frozen Dessert. It is made with coconut milk and does not contain eggs. In fact, it is labeled as Vegan. I have my trepidations when it comes to buying anything labeled as Vegan because it usually tastes like crap or grass. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this product!

I first tried the Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge flavor. Texture wise, it was like premium chocolate ice-cream. It has a nice coconut flavor in the background and super luxurious. This one is my favorite!

The next time I wanted ice-cream, I tried the Pineapple-Coconut flavor. Yummy! A decadent pina colada treat! The texture was not as good as the Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge. It was more crystalized and closer in texture to a lemon ice. It needs to sit out for a little bit and soften, and even then, it is not as creamy on the tongue as the chocolate. Flavor-wise, it is quite tasty. I still have some in my freezer and I have some macadamia nuts in my pantry. I'm going to try it with the macadamia nuts next time. It would also be really good as a blended drink, mixed with maybe pineapple juice or some yogurt.

It is a bit more expensive than regular ice-cream, even the premium varieties. My grocery store only carries a few flavors in the pint size, and it is between $5 and $6. For an occasional treat when I crave ice-cream, it is well worth it! I may talk to the store about bringing in more flavor options. By looking at the Coconut Bliss website, they have a lot of different flavors available.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you decided to give us a try and thrilled that you think the Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge is as rich as premium chocolate ice cream. We strive to be a premium treat!
    The Pineapple Coconut can be a little less creamy, it's due to the actual pineapple in the mix, and I do think it makes an amazing blended drink. I usually add a little frozen pineapple and some hemp milk :)

    ReplyDelete